I've been numerical modeling for almost 25 years, and I do believe, overall you have the best product!
- H Ernie Roaza, EHS Support Inc.
Visual MODFLOW® Flex is the industry standard software for 3D groundwater flow, heat and contaminant transport modeling.
- Integrated Conceptual and Numerical Groundwater Modeling
- Powerful 2D and 3D Visualization Capabilities
- Intuitive and Easy-to-Use
New Release: Visual MODFLOW Flex 2014.1 delivers improved accuracy and reduced runtimes with support for MODFLOW-USG unstructured grids. Learn more »
A Complete Groundwater Modeling System
With Visual MODFLOW Flex you have a complete set of tools necessary for addressing water quality, groundwater supply, and source water protection initiatives, including:
- MODFLOW-2000, 2005 - The world standard for groundwater flow modeling
- MODFLOW-USG - A finite volume version of MODFLOW that uses unstructured grids. Learn more
- MODFLOW-LGR - Shared-node local grid refinement (LGR) for regional-local scale simulations
- SEAWAT v.4 * - 3D variable density groundwater flow coupled with multi-species solute and heat transport
- MT3DMS - The standard package for multi-species contaminant transport simulations
- MODPATH - The standard package for forward and reverse particle tracking
- Zone Budget - A package for sub-regional water budget calculations
- PHT3D * - A multi-component transport model for three-dimensional reactive transport in saturated porous media. It couples the two existing and widely used computer programs, the solute transport model MT3DMS and the USGS geochemical code PHREEQC-2.
- PEST v.12.3 - Automated calibration and sensitivity analysis with support for pilot points.
- View all supported flow engines, transport engines and MODFLOW packages.
* Features only available from within the accompanying VMOD Classic Interface. Learn more »
Efficiently Manage Multiple Models
Most modeling projects involve several scenarios/versions, e.g., steady-state vs transient, different properties, inputs, grid types, etc. Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to assess uncertainty and improve model credibility through comparisons and analysis of multiple modeling scenarios - all within a single project.
- Manage multiple model scenarios in a single project
- Easily generate multiple models in parallel for evaluating alternative hydrogeologic interpretations and hypotheses
- Make direct visual and numerical comparisons between different modeling scenarios
- Calculate head differences between multiple model runs, with the same or different grid size
- Compare and analyze multiple modeling scenarios for selecting the best, most realistic model
Powerful Data Visualization
Built and designed on the latest in 3D visualization technology, Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to effectively present and communicate your data to colleagues and stakeholders with impressive visual renderings of your hydrogeologic model.
- Visualize all data, including conceptual objects, numerical grids, input data (property zones, boundary condition cells, etc) and output data (calculated heads, pathlines) in state-of-the-art 2D, 3D and multi-view (FlexViewer) displays
- Create cut-away and cross-sectional views that allow you to see inside your model
- Generate 3D animations and movies for reports or the web
- Add isolines, contours, pathlines and color shading to viewers
- Drape raster images (site maps, satellite imagery) over 3D surfaces to show relief
- Optimized OpenGL graphics for enhanced hardware rendering
Full GIS Integration
Easily construct your grid-independent hydrogeologic conceptual model in minutes using your existing GIS data sets.
- Quick and easy data importing of all common file types and formats
- Automatic coordinate system and units conversion on import
- Automatic data validation and intelligent error checking on import
- Define model boundaries, property zones, boundary conditions and attributes from imported GIS data
Flexible Grid Options
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides various grid types from which you can generate your numerical model. Easily experiment with different grid types and choose the one that gives you the best, most stable model.
- Choose from various structured and unstructured grid types to accommodate a wide range of applications and geologic conditions (e.g., pinch outs, discontinuities)
- Improve simulation accuracy, reduce runtimes and increase model stability with unstructured grid types (MODFLOW-USG)
- Easily generate multiple grids within the same project and compare side-by-side in 2D or 3D
- Perform grid refinement around areas of interest
- Create faster more stable models with nested child grids that contain local horizontal and vertical refinement (MODFLOW-LGR)
Unparalleled Power and Performance
Take full advantage of 64-bit architecture and multiple core processors, and build bigger models and run simulations significantly faster
- Available in 64-bit with support for 64-bit engines
- Multi-core parallel processing for flow engines
Flexible Modeling Approaches
Visual MODFLOW Flex allows you to choose which modeling approach to use for building your groundwater models. Choose the flexible and efficient conceptual modeling approach or the classical modeling approach.
Integrated 3D Conceptual and Numerical Groundwater Modeling
Visual MODFLOW Flex provides a seamless transition from raw data through conceptualization to the numerical model all within a single intuitive modeling environment.
- Define complex geology and model layers using borehole log data and cross-sections
- Interpret GIS data to define hydrogeologic properties and boundaries independent of the grid
- Run, analyze, and validate model results with raw data in 2D, 3D, and cross-section views
- Easily create multiple conceptualizations; generate numerous grids and model scenarios in parallel all in a single project
- Assess uncertainty though comparing heads from multiple model runs in 2D, 3D or chart views